Think your home is safe from accidental poisoning? Kids and pets get into everything, so take a good look at what you’ve got lying around.

Your house and garage may be full of toxic products that you might not even consider to be dangerous. But those extra cans of paint, the kitchen cleaner, and the laundry detergent and bleach are all made with household chemicals that can potentially poison a child.

Dangerous Household Chemicals: Poison Control 101

You may use many common household chemicals every day, but they can still be dangerous if swallowed or if allowed to come into with contact the skin or eyes. Look out for the following products:

  • House paint
  • Batteries
  • Antifreeze and motor oil
  • Household bleach
  • Antibacterial kitchen and bathroom cleaners
  • Laundry and dishwashing detergent
  • Windshield wiper fluid
  • Insecticides and other pesticides
  • Flea and tick control products
  • Glass cleaner
  • Nail polish and remover
  • Insect traps and bombs
  • Perfume, cologne, and hair products
  • Chemicals that kill mildew and mold
  • Drain clearing chemicals
  • Air-freshening sprays and other freshening agents
  • Carpet shampoo
  • Furniture cleaner
  • Mothballs

Keeping Kids Safe From Household Chemicals

All of these potentially dangerous household chemicals should be kept out of children’s reach — either stored on a shelf too high for kids to